Friday, July 29, 2016

A Foggy Northern California Coastal Dream - Monterey

The California coast is so diverse but perhaps my favorite stretch of shoreline is along the Monterey penisula within the towns Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea. It's like a scene out of a novel, a John Steinbeck novel. The town's beloved literary figure whose classic works still contribute to tourism in the region.

Imagine sea foam, dense fog, and sleepy narrow streets lined with cypress and pine. It's the kind of place where I imagine living in straw thatched cottage penning a poetry collection in between barefoot beach walks and tending my garden. The final item on my bucket list. My retirement plan. 

Monterey is also famous for it's world-class sea-side aquarium. It's the crown jewel of the region with its towering kelp forest viewable from mutiple levels. The only mammals housed at the facility is a romp of otters who are all rescue animals. My favorite exhibit is the one with the shore birds like pipers and plovers. I find them so cute and fancy with their long legs and beaks. The only bird more spastic than a robin. Dart, stop, dart, stop, dig. 




Even beyond the aquarium, there are plenty creatures to behold. We saw a pod of dolphin teaching their babies to hunt for fish in the breaking waves. Tucked away in the rocks, tide pools are home to a variety of anemones and barnacles. We even saw plenty of sea otter kicking back in the dense kelp forest a little ways off shore. Oh and California sea lion, they're around too... usually by the docks so they can catch a tan and honk at all the tourists. 



Monterey is a special place. I love any land that basks so hard in its own vibes that you forget about the rest of the world. It's a hard place to leave but I know one day I will come back and stay while. For now, I'm going to pick up a copy of Cannery Row by Steinbeck to transport me back. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this post and seeing your photos from Monterey! We visited a few months ago and loved the area. I definitely hope to be back here soon too!

    ReplyDelete