Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Travel Journal Entry 001 - Goodbye California, Hello Hawaii!

I've decided. I'm moving to Hawaii.

Google calls Hawaii an "isolated volcanic archipelago in the Central Pacific." I always liked that word 'archipelago,' even though in my head I say arch-i-pe-LAY-go instead of the correct arch-i-PEL-ago. Clearly my middle school geographer teacher assigned us the reading but forgot to give a lecture, or maybe I just wasn't listening. 😉

There are eight major islands in the Hawaiian chain: Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui, and Hawaii - the big island. I've got my eyes set on the big one (and that one I know how to pronounce). Hopefully my learning of the Hawaiian language will be less bookish and more through conversation with the locals.



I'm applying for work trade gigs on the big island. Mostly to work on organic eco-farms but there are hosts who need everything from childcare to housekeeping for their B&B, from the big island to Kauai. The trade is about 20 hours of work per week in exchange for lodging and all meals. In. Paradise.

There are quite a few websites that connect travelers with hosts but I have only used WWOOF Hawaii and now Workaway.info. I paid the 30 bucks for an annual WWOOF membership a while back and never managed to set something up. Honestly, I don't think I was truly ready at the time.

Now I'm set-up with Workaway.info and messaging hosts all day long. I'm aiming to arrive in Hawaii in early August and stay for as long as I can. There is so much to learn and concepts I'm just beginning to understand, like permaculture, aquaponics, and agroforestry.



I enjoy living in the Bay Area, California and I'll probably be back. I'm just ready to get my hands dirty and learn some valuable skills. I'm also going to use this new beginning to go vegetarian and eventually vegan, get a tan, and break my tech addiction. Maybe I'll even learn to surf! 

No comments:

Post a Comment